My DOQQs came in, aligning perfectly to my base map in UTM. The DEM I chose, is the grey square adjacent to the north of my DOQQs. I tried several sources and utilities but could not get this one to show other than grey. I had two options for DRG that would be adjacent to my DEM. Quad 5241 (Bountstown) or 5243 (Juniper Creek). I tried reprojecting the first one 4 times with ArcMap and twice with ArcCatalog, each resulting in complete crash of the program. What I discovered is that it did in fact, produce a .IMG file that I could import and in each case they always came in about 450 kilometers south of where it should be and maybe half that, to the east. I'm thinking maybe it was projecting but not quite finished when it crashed. At any rate, that is why my DRG does not appear in my post. Similar results were obtained for the second DRG. I suspect that this is the same error that was referred to in week 4 and why we were provided with the already projected uwf_n file. I wish I had more time to use what I have learned for Lab 6 as I suspect I could have forced this to be where it should be.
For coverages, I had originally chosen land cover and wetlands and while the land cover worked well and is visible in the second map, the wetlands file was for the entire state and was almost 1/2 GB in size. Clearly I would not be able to even load this to clip so I chose Invasive Species. I was able to obtain for the whole state from FGDL. Though there is no invasive species found in Calhoun County, I was going to show points where they are found just adjacent. The file was an 80MB shapefile and I had planned to cut it to just the two areas I needed but could not manipulate the file due to the unresponsive ArcMap so it is also not included. Likewise, I could not manipulate the cities file that I obtained from TIGER but it was smaller so I left the whole thing in. This is why you see stars and city labels beyond the county border. SHEEESH!!

No comments:
Post a Comment